Sunday, August 15, 2010

Buckeyes+Cupcakes= Buckeye Cupcakes!

Go Bucks!! O-H-I-O!

Oh how I love chocolate..and peanut butter..and Buckeyes are the ultimate combination of the my two favorite substances! One of my good friends mentioned Buckeyes the other day, I think as a not-so-subtle hint that I should make some and bring them to work. So I thought about it. And this morning it dawned on me that I should not only make Buckeyes, but I should make cupcakes to put them on. So, I made both! All of my fellow Ohio State Buckeye fans will appreciate these! Go Bucks!

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

What you will need:

30 Chocolate Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Icing (recipe to follow)
30 Mini Buckeyes (recipe to follow)



The chocolate cake recipe I used is the same as in this post.  The only difference is that i used cupcake tins, filling the cups 2/3 full, and baked for 27 minutes. I think next time I'll use another cake recipe, as this one works well in layers but the cupcakes were a little too moist, and fell apart a little too easily when taken out of the paper liners. Live and learn!

The Peanut Butter Frosting I improvised..I love buttercream frostings, but I was feeling in the mood for a cream cheese frosting..so I used elements of both!

Peanut Butter Frosting
Enough to frost 30 cupcakes

1 package cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 Cups creamy peanut butter
1 Cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix cream cheese, butter and peanut butter with electric mixer till well blended. Add vanilla, and powdered sugar. Mix on medium speed until well combined.If necessary, add a tablespoon of milk to thin frosting. Increase mixer speed to high, and continue to mix until frosting is light and fluffy. Pipe or spread on cupcakes, and top with buckeyes.




Buckeyes
Adapted from Buckeye recipe at Allrecipes.com
30 mini and 20 regular sized Buckeyes

1 Cup creamy peanut butter
1 Stick unsalted butter, softened
3 Cups powdered sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla
3/4 package semisweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. shortening

Combine peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla in bowl with electric mixer until combined well. Mixture will appear dry. Place bowl in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

When mixture is chilled, roll into 30 small balls and 20 large balls, and place on wax paper on a baking sheet. Stick a toothpick into the center of each ball. Place baking sheet into freezer for 15 minutes.

In glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir chocolate chips and shortening until melted and smooth.

Remove peanut butter balls from freezer. Using an ice cream scoop to hold a small amount of melted chocolate, dip peanut butter balls into chocolate until they are 3/4 of the way covered. Place back on wax paper. Repeat with each ball. When finished, remove toothpicks and place buckeyes in refrigerator for a few minutes until chocolate hardens. Top each cupcake with a mini buckeye, and try not to eat the remaining buckeyes in one sitting!

Enjoy and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment