Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cheesy Bacon and Scallion Quiche




First of all, please excuse the horrible picture quality...a little pair of hands happens to love my camera, so much so that it's broken..and on it's way in for repair (THANK YOU Target for your extended warranty!!).

Secondly, Yes, most of my posts are sweet items..But, I need you to know that I don't live solely on cake and cupcakes (as much as I'd like to!)

I had some bacon and scallions that needed to be used up, and I didn't think they'd go with cupcakes well..So I decided to make quiche for lunch yesterday. I LOVE quiche. With a passion...I think this goes back to my love of all things french! This was my first attempt at making quiche, and my first attempt at making a crust from scratch. Both turned out fantastic..and were still yummy reheated for breakfast today!

First,  the crust...

Cheesy Quiche Crust from Allrecipes.com

3/4 cup all purpose flour
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
5 teaspoons cold water

Place flour and butter in large bowl, and work with your hands until combined well to resemble bread crumbs.
Work in the grated cheese, and sprinkle with a little bit of water and continue to work with your hands until the dough forms a ball. I didn't find it necessary to use much water at all, in fact after the first teaspoon I added more flour because the dough was too wet. Wrap ball of dough in plastic wrap, and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Remove dough from fridge, and roll out into a circle to fit your pan. I found that this wasn't quite enough dough for my pie plate- I didn't have pretty edges, but it still tasted fantastic!

The original recipe says to preheat oven to 375 and bake crust for 9 minutes before filling. I skipped this step (I don't follow directions well, remember?) I filled my crust while it was raw, and it turned out just fine.


Now the filling...

Cheesy Bacon and Scallion Quiche adapted from About.com: Southern Food

1 prepared crust from above recipe
6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
4 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
2 scallions, sliced, green part only

Preheat oven to 375. Prepare crust as above, or use a store bought crust (but I promise the cheesy crust is worth the little bit of effort it takes to make!) Whisk eggs in a bowl, add cream and milk and whisk until combined. Stir in thyme and pepper, and pour into crust. Sprinkle bacon, scallions and cheese into egg mixture. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until quiche is lightly browned and just slightly jiggly. Remove from oven, and let rest a few minutes before serving. Attempt to not eat the whole quiche in one sitting...yes, it's that good!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment